St. Attracta’s Junior School has Green Flag status. In fact, our Green-Schools projects are older than the Green-Schools organisation itself which was founded in 1999. Since the early 1990’s we have been involved in many environmental projects. In 2001 we set up our first Green-Schools committee and have been busy going “green” ever since. We have been awarded the following Green-Flags:
- 2003 – 1st Green Flag for our recycling programme, “Reduce, Reuse, Recycle”
- 2005 – 2nd Green Flag for our “Energy” saving initiatives
- 2007 – 3rd Green Flag for our “Water Conservation” efforts
- 2009 – 4th Green Flag for “Travel”
- 2012 – 5th Green Flag for “Climate Change”
- 2015 – 6th Green Flag for “Biodiversity”
We are now working towards our seventh Green Flag for “Global Citizenship” with a focus on litter & waste. Children on the Green-Schools Committee represent all classes from Junior Infants to Second Class. While the children on the Green-Schools committee change from year to year, the high profile of the Green Schools Programme within the school ensures that all children are aware of the projects undertaken and many are actively involved. For example, our W.O.W and School Garden projects are ongoing features of our Green-Schools initiatives. Over the years, the children, parents and Staff have responded with great enthusiasm to these Environmental projects.